If you have missing teeth, you might be doing some research on different types of tooth replacements. One of the best ones available are dental implants in Richardson. Learn all about them in this week’s blog post that covers many of the most common questions about implant dentistry!
WHAT ARE DENTAL IMPLANTS?
A dental implant is a tiny titanium post that’s surgically placed in the jawbone to replace a missing tooth from the root to the crown. The implant fuses with the jawbone, creating a strong foundation for long-lasting replacement teeth.
WHY DO SO MANY PATIENTS PREFER DENTAL IMPLANTS?
Patients who have missing teeth can benefit from dental implants in many ways:
- Their success rate is over 95%!
- They are long-lasting and durable over years of wear and tear.
- They can look, feel, and function just like natural teeth.
- Implants are surgically placed compared to other tooth replacements like dentures that can move around.
- They affect only the missing tooth, rather than relying on surrounding teeth for support like dental bridges.
- Patients are generally highly satisfied and enjoy improved oral health.
WHAT IS IT LIKE TO GET DENTAL IMPLANTS?
The process is simple! First, the implant is surgically placed and given time to fuse with the jawbone. Once the fusion is complete, the prosthetic tooth is attached. The entire process takes a commitment as the healing period may take several months for osseointegration to be complete, but dental implants are well worth the wait!
DOES IT HURT TO GET DENTAL IMPLANTS?
Since the placement of dental implants requires oral surgery, many patients will receive a local anesthetic. This helps to numb the affected area. If you’re nervous about the placement, you can also discuss sedation options with your dentist in Richardson to improve your dental experience.
However, after the placement, you’ll experience some soreness while your mouth adjusts to your tooth replacement. Your dentist will prescribe pain medication to help you cope. Overall, many patients report having a positive dental experience.
AM I A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR DENTAL IMPLANTS?
If you’re in generally good health and have sufficient bone density and gum tissue, the chances of you being a viable candidate for dental implants is high! However, to truly determine your qualifications, you should schedule a consultation with your local dentist.
ARE THERE ANY REASONS WHY I WOULDN’T BE A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR DENTAL IMPLANTS?
There are a few reasons you may not immediately be a candidate for implants:
- You don’t have enough bone density within the jaw to support implants.
- Your smile hasn’t finished developing yet.
- You have a pre-existing medical condition that can make oral surgery too complicated.
- Your overall oral health isn’t in good standing and must be improved first.
- You’re a regular tobacco user and not willing to stop smoking or chewing.
If you’re interested in getting dental implants, these questions may have answered a few of your questions. However, if you still have lingering concerns, feel free to ask your local dentist!
ABOUT OUR OFFICE
Here at Dental Care Today of Richardson, we believe that every patient should have a fully functional smile. If you don’t, we’re here to explore restorative options with you. Don’t hesitate to give us a call to discuss different services that may work for you.